Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: ROUNDHAY.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Population, 314; Church-room, 360; Net value, £103. -The Parliamentary Commissioners gave the following recommendation :-" Round-haye, alias Roundhaye Park, which being distant from its parish Church of Barwick three miles, we think fit to divide from it; and Shadwell, in the parish of Thorner, distant from its parish Church two miles ; and Brandon, in the parish of Harwood, and distant from its parish Church two miles ; and all three we think them fit to be made one parish of themselves, and for that end a parish Church to be built at Roundhaye, at the discretion of Mr. Nathaniel Jackson, the minister. And in regard he doth now freely offer to part with Roundhaye, and profits thereof, towards the maintenance of a minister in the new parish Church, we think it fit that he have the sole nomination of the first minister that shall be presented thereto." -Vol. xviii. p. 325.

A Chapel was built a few years ago, under the authority of an Act of Parliament, 5 Geo. IV. cap. 21, and marriages may be celebrated therein.

Post town: Leeds.

From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.