BINGLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"BINGLEY, a small market and manufacturing town, and a parish-town, which with Micklethwaite, forms one township, in the parish of Bingley, and wapentake of Skyrack, West Riding, is 206 miles from London, 20 n.w. from Wakefield, 17 n. from Huddersfield, 11 n. from Halifax, 6 n.w. from Bradford, and about 4 e. from Keighley; situated on the direct road between the two last named towns, and upon an eminence between two pleasant valleys. The town, which consists chiefly of one long street, tolerably built, lies between the river Aire and the Leeds & Liverpool canal, the latter passing close to the town, which is of great advantage to its trade. The worsted manufacture is carried on in this town and neighbourhood to a considerable extent; and there are several large worsted spinning establishments; others for cotton of minor importance; and several respectable concerns in the malt trade. A court house has been lately erected, in which public meetings take place; but the petty sessions, every fortnight, are still held at the Brown Cow. The places of worship are the parish church, dedicated to All Saints, a neat edifice, and chapels for baptists, independents, and methodists. In the church are some handsome monuments to the memory of several members of the Ferrand family. The living of Bingley is a discharged vicarage, in the gift of the Crown: the Rev. Richard Hartley is the vicar. Here is a free grammar school, for the sons of the inhabitants of Bingley, well endowed, and founded by royal charter, in the reign of Charles the First; and a large one upon the national system, capable of accommodating eight hundred scholars. The scenery in the neighbourhood of Bingley is very agreeable and diversified, well watered and wooded, and studded with many handsome habitations, amongst these, the seats of Walker Ferrand, Esq. Harden Grange, and Edward Ferrand, Esq. St. Ives, may be noticed as beautiful residences. The market, which is held on Tuesday, was formerly well and populously attended, but it has retrograded in advantage to the town, in proportion as that of Bradford has prospered. Two fairs are held annually, but they are not well attended; the periods are, January 25th, for horned cattle, and August 25th, 26th, & 27th, for horses, linen & pedalry. The population of Bingley parish, by the census of 1821, amounted to 7,375, and in 1831, to 9,256, of which last number 8,037 were returned for the township of Bingley and Micklethwaite."
"ARDEN, is a hamlet in the parish of Bingley, and in the township of Bingley and Micklethwaite, one mile and a half therefrom. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in wool combing and weaving. Walker Ferrand, Esq. erected, and supports an infants' school, for children of the poor, from two to six years of age; in addition to reading, the girls are taught knitting and sewing. Population of Harden returned with the township of Bingley and Micklethwaite."
"CULLINGWORTH, is a hamlet, in the parish of Bingley, in the upper division of Skyrack wapentake, West Riding, about 3 miles w. from Bingley, the like distance s.e. from Keighley, 7 from Bradford, and 8 from Halifax. The inhabitants of the hamlet are, for the most part, employed in the manufacturing establishments; the principal of which is that belonging to Messers. George Townend and Brothers, worsted spinners and yarn manufacturers. A chapel for Wesleyan methodists, and a Sunday school are in the village. Population returned with the parish of Bingley."
"MORTON, East and West, form one township, in the parish of Bingley, about two miles from that town, and participates with it in the manufacture of articles produced from the fleece: there are also two mills for the making of paper, and one for cotton spinning and the manufacture of cotton goods. The places of worship are a chapel for Wesleyan methodists, and a small building, which is used alternately, by congregations of primitive methodists, baptists and independents. The township contained, in 1821, 1,199 inhabitants, and in 1831, 1,209."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]