BINGLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"BINGLEY, a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, upon the r. Are, near Skipton in Craven, was formerly in possession of the Cantilupes; and at last gave title of baron to Robert Benson, Esq; so created by Q. Anne."
"COTTINGLEY, in the parish of Bingley, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the N. side of Bradforth, has a bridge over the Are; was anciently the estate of the Hodgsons, and afterwards of the Claphams."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]