Hide

BIRKIN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BIRKIN, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Chapel-Haddlesey, and the townships of Birkin, West Haddlesey, Courtney Hurst, and Temple-Hurst, and containing 917 inhabitants, of which number, 139 are in the township of Birkin, 3 miles E.N.E. from Ferrybridge. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £36, and in the patronage of the devisees of the late Thomas Wright, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The village is situated on the northern bank of the river Aire."


"CHAPEL HADDLESEY, a chapelry in the parish of BIRKIN, lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the. county of YORK, 4 miles S.S.W. from Selby, containing 199 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. John the Baptist."


"HURST COURTNEY, a township in the parish of BIRKIN, lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.W. from Snaith, containing 145 inhabitants."


"TEMPLE HURST, a township in the parish of BIRKIN, lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.W. from Snaith, containing 141 inhabitants. The Knights Templars founded a preceptory here about 1152."


"WEST HADDLESEY, a township in the parish of BIRKIN, lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.W. from Selby, containing 293 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]