Hide

BIRKIN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BIRKIN, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the E. of Pontefract. Ferrybridge is its post town. It is situated on the north bank of the river Aire, and contains the chapelry of Chapel Haddlesey, and the townships of West Haddlesey, Courtney Hurst, and Temple Hurst. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value with the perpetual curacy of Chapel Haddlesey, £1,008, in the patronage of the Rev. T. Hill. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."


"CHAPEL HADDLESEY, a township in the parish of Birkin, lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone Ash, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles from Birkin, and 4 S. of Selby. It is situated on the river Aire, near the Selby canal. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Birkin, in the diocese of York, and in the patronage of Rev. T. Hill. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."


"HURST COURTNEY, a township in the parish of Birkin, lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone Ash, West Riding county York, 2 miles N. W. of Snaith, and 6 from Birkin. It is situated on the river Aire."


"HURST TEMPLE, a township in the parish of Birkin, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Snaith. It is situated on the river Aire. Here was a small preceptory belonging to the Knights Templars, founded in 1252 by Ralph de Hastings."


"TEMPLE HURST, a township in the parish of Birkin, lower division of Barkstone-Ash wapentake, West Riding county York, 5½ miles from Birkin. There is a chapel for Wesleyans."


"WEST HADDLESEY, a township in the parish of Birkin, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Selby. It is situated near the river Aire and the Selby canal."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013