Hide

BIRSTALL: Birstall Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

BIRSTALL.*
(CONGREGATIONAL.)

In the early history of Nonconformity mention is made of Rev. Robert Constantine, who was for some time minister of Birstall, whence he removed to Oldham, till the ejection of 1662. Rev. Joseph Dawson, who was ejected from Thornton Chapel, preached here for some time, whilst residing at Halifax, and before his removal to Morley.

Zion Chapel was built by the New Connexion Methodists, and was purchased by the Independents, 1846. The pastors have been-

  • 1846. Rev. ROBERT WILLAN. Removed to Holmfirth, 1856.
  • The present place of worship (Salem) was erected in 1856. It was intended for a school-room. It is now, 1867, in contemplation to build a chapel, that this original object may be secured.
  • 1857. Rev. DAVID WILSON (from Newcastle). After a useful ministry, Mr. W. died in 1864.
  • 1865. Rev. EDWARD H. DAVIES (from Tipton, Dudley). The present minister (in 1868)

NOTES:-
* By aid of Rev. H. Davies.


Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.