GOMERSAL: Gomersal Congregational Church History up to 1868.
This place was one of those visited by O. Heywood. He mentions keeping a fast here Oct. 20, 1679, together with Mr. Dawson, Mr. Holdsworth, and many more.
In the year 1826, some members of the Independent Church at Cleckheaton, with others at Heckmondwike, united to build a chapel at Gomersal on land given by Mr. James Burnley. The building cost upwards of £1,300, but has since been enlarged and beautified. The original school-room, on part of the above land, the remainder of which forms the front burial-ground, was erected at the sole expense of Mr. J. B. Another piece of land adjoining was bought by the congregation, and on part of it a parsonage-house was subsequently erected, and the school-room increased to its present dimensions. The remainder of the land forms the back burial-ground; and recently a valuable strip of land has been given by the family of the late Mr. Thomas Burnley, for widening the southern access to the chapel, &c.
- 1827. Rev. JOHN HALL COOKE (formerly assistant to Rev. J. Parsons, York). Mr. C. was the active and valued secretary of the West Riding Home Missionary Society; an office which he latterly held for a short time in conjunction with the late Rev. J. Ely till the death of Mr. Cooke, March 21, 1845.
- 1845. Rev. ARCHIBALD MCMILLAN (Rotherham Coll). Mr. M. left for Taunton, 1856.
- 1856. Rev. JAMES ADOLPHUS SAVAGE (Highbury Coll.) from Wilsden. Mr. Savage is secretary to Airedale College and the West Riding Provident Society, as also Acting-Trustee to Balme's Charity.
* Aided by information from Rev. J. A. Savage.
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.