Hide

HECKMONDWIKE: Heckmondwike-Lower Chapel Now Westgate Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

HECKMONDWIKE-LOWER CHAPEL, NOW WESTGATE.
(CONGREGATIONAL.)

This chapel was built in the year 1786, and was calculated to seat 800 persons. It originated with Rev. W. Booker (see p. 275). The following have been pastors-
  • 1786. Rev. WM. BOOKER, from the Upper Chapel. He left in 1790.
  • After a vacancy of several years,
  • 1797. Rev. JOSEPH KERBY, from Lady Huntingdon's Connexion. He was afterwards at Wigan. In 1802, Mr. K. removed to Flockton, and afterwards to Lewes.
  • 1802. Rev. WILLIAM HONEYWOOD. He resigned his charge in 1814, though he continued to reside at Heckmondwike till his death in 1820.
  • 1814. Rev. SPEDDING CURWEN (of Rotherham College). He removed to Cottingham in 1819, and thence to London.
  • 1820. Rev. JOSEPH MATHER (of Homerton College). Unpleasant circumstances in the congregation caused him to resign his charge in 1825. He accepted an invitation to Cockermouth.
  • 1827. Rev. ROBERT MARTIN (Of Idle Academy), from Ripon. He was minister for twenty-five years till his melancholy death in 1852.
  • 1854. Rev. DAVID HORNE, B.A. (Airedale). He removed to Sunderland 1856.
  • 1856. Rev. MARK HOWARD (Airedale), who is the present minister (in 1868).
A new chapel, Westgate, was built 1865-6 on the site of the former Lower Chapel. It has 1,000 sittings, with new schoolroom and class-room, and accommodation for 600 children.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.