Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for BLYTHE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1837.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

BLYTHE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1837.

"BLYTHE, a parish in the county of Nottinghamshire."

"BAWTRY, in the parish of Blythe, is a small handsome, well-built market town, near the river Idle, and being situated on the Great North Road, at the junction of the turnpikes from Sheffield, Gainsbro' and Thorne, it is a busy thoroughfare, and has a large commodious Inn and Posting-house, besides several other respectable public-houses, which afford comfortable accommodation for travellers. It is distant 9 miles form Doncaster and Retford, 4 miles E. of Tickhill, 12 miles W. by N. of Gainsboro', and 4 miles N. by E. of Blyth. Though in the parish of Blyth, and nearly surrounded by Nottinghamshire, it is all in the Wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, and the West- Riding of Yorkshire, except a small suburb which forms the south side of Top street, and is in the parish of Harworth. It is situated on the site of the Roman road which passed from Littleborough to Doncaster. A fair of four days in the year was procured from King John, by Robert de Vipount, Lord of the manor, for a present of four palfreys. The market, which was formerly on Wednesday, is now on Thursday, and is principally for corn sold by sample. Two fairs for cattle and horses, are held on Whit-Thursday, and November 22nd . The town has no trade except the traffic on the river Idle, which is navigable from hence to the Trent for small craft, principally employed in importing coal, groceries, &c. The Gas works were formed in 1834, at the cost of about £1450, raised in shares £26 each. The object most worth of attention here, is Bawtry Hall, the elegant seat of Robert Pemberton Milnes, Esq., to whom the manor of Bawtry descended, from the late Dowager Viscountess Galway, who died about 2 years ago. The hall stands in Harworth parish, Nottinghamshire, near the southern extremity of the town, in the midst of extensive pleasure grounds, all in excellent condition, agreeably interspersed with shrubberies and plantations, and containing a beautiful aviary, well stocked with Chinese Pheasants and other rare birds. The township of Bawtry has only 1149 inhabitants, 200 houses and 205A, 14F. of land. It is a chapelry, and has a small Chapel of Ease annexed to the vicarage of Blyth, and dedicated to St. Nicholas. The Rev. George Rose, B.A. is the curate. In the town are also, a Methodist Chapel built in 1806, and enlarged in 1827, and an Independent Chapel, built in 1825, on land given by Mr. James Dobson. The Rev. Robert Kirkus is minister of the latter. In 1691, Barbara Lister left £200, and directed the interest to be paid yearly to the curate of Bawtry, "if placed there by the consent of her executor or his heirs; if not, fo the poor of Bawtry." The Earl of Roslyn now pays this annuity. In 1780, Elizabeth Foster bequeathed the Bell Houses, with a garden, for the residence of two poor women, and endowed them with a yearly rent charge of £1 out of a close at Misson, called the Paddock. The Town School was built by subscription in 1822, and has attached to it a small garden, and an annuity of £1. 13., the latter given by Mr. F.H. Cartwright, in 1833. For the use of the school, garden, and annuity, the master teaches nine of the scholars for a weekly charge of 2d. each, but all of them are provided with books by the contributions of the inhabitants. Post Office, Crown Inn yard; Mr. W. Adams, Postmaster. - The mails depart to London &c, at 12 noon; to York, Edinburgh &c. at 10 minutes past 12 noon; and to Sheffield and Louth, at a ¼ before 1 afternoon."

[Transcribed from White's History, gazetteer and directory of the West Riding of Yorkshire 1837]