Bolton By Bowland
The Ancient Parish of BOLTON BY BOWLAND
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BOLTON BY BOWLAND, a parish-town, in the west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; (Bolton Hall, the occasional residence of John Bolton, Esq.) 4 miles W. of Gisburn, 10 from Settle, 12 from Colne, (Lanc.) 14 from Skipton, 55 from York. No Market. Fairs, June 28, 29, and 30, or horned cattle, pedlary, &c. Pop. 1,205. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Peter, in the deanry of Craven, value, £11. 13s. 4d. p.r. £123. 12s. Patron, John Bolton, Esq.
Bolton Hall the ancient residence of the family of Pudsay, says, Dodsworth, "stands very pleasantly among sweet woods and fruitful hills." Here Sir Ralph Pudsay sheltered his persecuted sovereign Henry VI. after the battle of Hexham: and where still are preserved a pair of boots, a pair of gloves, and a spoon, which the unfortunate Monarch left, either from haste and trepidation, or as tokens of regard for the family. An adjoining Well still retains the name of "King Harry," who is said to have directed it to be dug and walled, in its present shape, for a cold bath. In the church, which is a plain building of late Gothic architecture, is the famous monument of Sir Ralph Pudsay, with his three wives and twenty five children, all engraven in relief, upon a slab of grey Craven limestone. --Whitaker's Craven. The manor and advowson were purchased for £42,000. by John Bolton, of Liverpool, Esq. its present owner."
"HOLDEN, in the township and parish of Bolton by Bowland, liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles from Guisburn, 10 from Settle, 13 from Skipton,"
"HUNGRILL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Bolton by Bowland, liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles from Gisburn, 10 miles S. of Settle.
This was, for many generations, the residence of the Walkers; and now of Edward King, Esq., Vice Chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster."
"MONUBENT, a farm-house in the township of Gisburn Forest, and parish of Bolton by Bowland, liberty of Staincliffe; 6 miles from Gisburn, 9 from Settle."
"SKIRDEN, a farm-house in the township and parish of Bolton by Bowland, liberty of Staincliffe; 4½ miles from Gisburn, 9 miles SSW. of Settle."
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bolton By Bowland to another place.
- A transcription of the Holden Congregational Church History
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD787495 (Lat/Lon: 53.941168, -2.325966), Bolton By Bowland which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.