"BOLTON BY BOWLAND, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.N.E. from Clitheroe, containing 1205 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £11. 13. 4., and in the patronage of J. P. Haywood and another. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains a large monumental slab of grey limestone, bearing an effigy supposed to be that of Sir Ralph Pudsay, together with effigies of his three wives and twenty-five children. Sir Ralph afforded a brief asylum to Henry VI., at his house, Bolton Hall, shortly after the battle of Hexham so disastrous to the Lancastrian party: a pair of boots' a pair of gloves, and a spoon, are still preserved as relics of that monarch, and a well, stated to have been dug and formed into a bath by his orders, retains the name of King Henry's Well. The rivers Ribble and Skirdon run through the parish, in which there are two mineral springs, also a lead mine."