Bolton Upon Dearne
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BOLTON UPON DEARNE, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; 7½ miles N. of Rotherham, Barnsley, and Doncaster, 38 from York. Pop. 623. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Andrew, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, ~£6. 15s. 4d. p.r. £60. to £70. Patrons, the Executors, of William Marsden, Esq. Bacon styles it a vicarage."
"GOLDTHORPE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Bolton upon Dearne, liberty of Tickhill; 7 miles E. of Barnsley and Doncaster."
"GOLDTHORPE LANE ENDS, a hamlet in the township and parish of Bolton upon Dearne; 7 miles from Barnsley, 8 from Doncaster."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Christmas Recollections, a poem written by Mathew Naylor probably in the 1860s and containing names of people he knew.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The Church of St. Andrew the Apostle, Bolton upon Dearne.
- Furlong Road Methodist Church, Bolton upon Dearne.
- The site of the Church of our Lady of Succour, Bolton upon Dearne, there is now an aerial shop on the site.
- The Church of St. John and St. Mary Magdalene, Goldthorpe.
- Goldthorpe Pentecostal Community Church, Goldthorpe. This building was St. Mark's Methodist churh prior to January 2010. The Goldthorpe Pentecostal Community Church were previously at Beever Street, Goldthorpe. [Janet Cobourne-Smith, June 2011]
- The Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart, Goldthorpe.
- The Salvation Army Citadel, Goldthorpe.
- Transcript of the entry for Bolton upon Dearne in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The following transcriptions are transcriptions of transcriptions originally done in 1988 by Wath and Mexborough Archives. These documents have many typographical errors and so we cannot vouch for the accuracy in the original transcription. If you find anything of interest here, please be sure to check the original Parish Registers source material.
Transcriptions by Jack Parry of:
- The Baptism Registers for Bolton upon Dearne Parish:
- The Marriage Registers for Bolton upon Dearne Parish:
- The Burial Registers for Bolton upon Dearne Parish:
- The Methodist Baptism Registers for Bolton upon Dearne (Furlong Road):
- The Wesleyan Methodist Baptism Registers for Goldthorpe, 1920-1945.
- The Methodist Baptism Registers for Goldthorpe, 1950-1958.
- The Goldthorpe, Bolton & Thurnscoe Methodist Baptisms, 1929-1950.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Bolton upon Dearne.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Here is a transcription by Ronald Crossland and Walt Norris of " The Inclosure Awards of 1761-67" for Bolton upon Dearne with Goldthorpe giving the records of the results of the (hated) land enclosure acts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bolton Upon Dearne to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE454033 (Lat/Lon: 53.524412, -1.316661), Bolton Upon Dearne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE454040) Highfields
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- Here is a transcription by Walt Norris of " Tithe book of Bolton with Goldthorpe, 1839." giving the records of the collection of tithes in the township.
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.