[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BRACEWELL, a parish-town, in the east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; 2 miles E. of Gisburn, 5 miles from Colne, (Lanc.) 9 from Skipton, 11 from Burnley, (Lanc.) 50 from York. Pop. 176. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Michael, in the deanry of Craven, value, ~£2. 9s. 9½d. p.r. £60. Patron, Lord Grantham.
"The Vicarage House," Dr. Whitaker observes, and very justly, "is a disgrace to the parish and Church of England, a miserable thatched cottage of two rooms only, floored with clay, and open to the roof. --History of Craven.
Here is the ruin of an old Hall, built of brick, probably about the time of Henry VII. or VIII. and was formerly the residence of the ancient family of the Tempests. North of this are the remains of a still older house of stone, in which is an apartment called "King Henry's Parlour"; undoubtedly one of the retreats of Henry VI. --Whitaker's Craven."
"CROOKS HOUSE, a farm-house in the township of Stock, and parish of Bracewell; 10 miles from Skipton."
"STOCK, in the township and parish of Bracewell, east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; 2½ miles E. of Gisburn, 5½ miles from Colne, (Lanc.) 9½ from Skipton."
- Transcript of the entry for Bracewell in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Bracewell.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bracewell to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD863486 (Lat/Lon: 53.933338, -2.21015), Bracewell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The list of Cremations from 1971 onwards for the parish. (Against the church wall).
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- Try the Lancashire FHHS
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.