"BRACEWELL, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles S.W. from Skipton, containing 176 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £2. 9. 9½., endowed with £600 private benefaction, and £1200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Lord Grantham. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There are quarries of limestone in the parish. On the summit of two eminences, Howber and Gildersber, are vestiges of military works, stated by tradition to have been constructed by Prince Rupert's forces, on their march through Craven, in 1664. A brick mansion, formerly belonging to the family of Tempest, is in ruins."