Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BRACEWELL.     Church dedication: ST. MICHAEL.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 1,920 acres. Staincliffe wapentake, E. D. -Population, 160; Church-room, 150 *1; Net value, £123. -Bracewell was part of the fee of Roger of Poitou, and was granted, soon after the date of Domesday Book, to Roger de Tempest.

Dr. Whitaker gives the pedigree of the Tempest family.

This Church was given and appropriated to the Abbey of Kirkstall. Both Ecton and Bacon have fallen into the error of stating the appropriation to have been made to Kirkham Abbey.

A Vicarage was ordained in 1347. -See Torre's MS *2. for the particulars of this ordination.

Patron and impropriator, Earl de Grey.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's first taxation, at £12; and in his new taxation, at £6. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £2. 9s. 8d. per annum ; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 197, it is stated : " Vicarage, £4 in glebe, and £6 diet or money : but whether it be of right due, we know not. The rest is made up in small tithes."

Augmented in 1747, with £200, and in 1767, with £200, both by lot ; in 1781, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Mrs. Mary Jolliffe ; in 1817, with £300 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of £100 from the Rev. W. A. Wasney, the Vicar, and of £100 from Mrs. Pyncombe's trustees ; and in 1820, with £300 more from the same grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from Mr. Weddell and Lord Grantham.

Dr. Whitaker gives a catalogue of the Vicars.

The glebe in 1818 was a miserable thatched cottage. Dr. Whitaker says it is a disgrace to the parish. Two rooms only.

The Registers commence in 1587. The first book is imperfect. Chasm 1719 to 1753. - Vide transcripts at York.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Skipton.


References:
Mon. Ang., vol. v. pages 529. 552. Burton's Monasticon, page 290. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 131. Whitaker's Craven, page 80.


Notes:
*1 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 180, or more.

*2 Torre's MS., page 489.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.