Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for BRADFORD: Bradford-Horton Lane Chapel Congregational Church History up to 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

BRADFORD: Bradford-Horton Lane Chapel Congregational Church History up to 1868.

BRADFORD-HORTON LANE CHAPEL. (CONGREGATIONAL.)

About the year 1781, the Rev. Joseph Cockin, then of Kipping, influenced by an earnest zeal for the promotion of the gospel truth, began to preach occasionally in the streets of Bradford. At his first coming he was alone, and with some difficulty preached on a fine evening in the old market-place, standing on some steps in front of a shop. The Methodists had already several Societies in the neighbourhood, and did not regard Mr. Cockin with favour. Before this time, several persons, dissatisfied with the doctrine at the old chapel, had attempted to form an Independent congregation. A young man, named Hales, frequently preached to them, and was much esteemed. But though he had been bought off from his apprenticeship at Wakefield, that he might devote himself to the ministry, he suddenly abandoned that thought and gave up his religious profession. This led to the formation of the Baptist congregation in Westgate. After his first essay, Mr Cockin was warmly welcomed, especially by those whom the Evangelical ministry of the Rev. Mr. Stilling fleet, a clergyman of Calvinistic Methodist views, had already attracted to his church at Bierley. A room in the old brewery was soon engaged, and a congregation was gathered. The people invited Mr. Cockin to be their minister, which invitation was declined; a church being formed. By his advice they invited-
  • 1782. Rev. JAMES CROSSLEY, then at Booth (see page 232). Mr. C. was a man of great simplicity and piety; an acceptable and useful preacher. He left Booth with much reluctance, and the removal (it was supposed) preyed upon his spirits and caused his death, after having preached in Bradford only a single Sunday. Ob. 1782. Mr. Crossley was succeeded by
  • 1784. Rev. THOMAS HOLDGATE (from Marple-Bridge, Derbyshire). He had been originally a member of the church of Rev. T. Priestley, at Manchester, where he had been very useful.
  • Soon after his coming a chapel was built in Little Horton Lane, then in the outskirts of the town. The congregation greatly increased during his ministry. Mr. Holdgate died in 1806, æt. 58.
  • 1808. Rev. THOMAS TAYLOR (Northowram and Idle Acys., from Ossett). The ministry of Mr. T. was peculiarly valuable, and his congregation was latterly very large. During his pastorate several enlargements of the chapel and premises took place. Mr. T. lived to advanced years. He resigned his office in 1 8 3 5, but survived till Oct. 3, 1853, when he died, aged 86, greatly respected by all denominations.
  • 1836. Rev. JONATHAN GLYDE (Highbury Coll., from Collumpton and the Western Coll., in which he had been Classical Tutor). Mr. G., differing in many respects from his predecessor, was a man of almost original talent, and of the purest style of piety, and was greatly esteemed and beloved. He left his mark on the town in which he lived. Died 1854, æt. 47.
  • 1855. Rev. JAMES ROBERTSON CAMPBELL, M.A. (Glasgow University and Theol. Ins., from Albany Street, Edinburgh). Mr. Campbell, soon after his arrival, received the degree of D.D. from the University of Glasgow. He is the present minister (in 1868).
  • In the year 1863, a new chapel was opened of considerable magnitude and imposing appearance. No expense was spared in its erection, and its whole cost was defrayed immediately after its completion. It possesses every convenience for worship, instruction, and the needs of an active congregation, and is not to be surpassed in the West Riding.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.