Area, 33,710 acres. Morley wapentake. - Population, 76,996 *2; Church-room, 1,400 *3; Net value, £437. -This was an ancient Rectory, in the patronage of the Lacys, till given to Newark College, in Leicester, by Henry, Duke of Lancaster, and appropriated thereto ; and there was an endowed Vicarage for many years, while the Rectory continued to be presentable. In 1416, a Vicarage was ordained herein by Archbishop Bowett, reserving 20s. to the Archbishop, and 6s, 8d. to the Dean and Chapter, to be paid by the College, 20s. to the poor, and the Vicar's portion to continue as before.
After the Dissolution, the Advowson was given by Queen Mary to the Archbishop of York, but, for some reason or another, the Archbishop never collated thereto, and the Crown continued to present for some time. The patronage is now in the family of the Fawcetts, of Bradford.
Impropriator, F. Dawson, Esq.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £53. 6s. 8d., which, in the new taxation, was reduced to £28, and the Vicarage at £13. 6s.; in the King's books, at £20; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 289, it is stated : " The Vicarage house, several tithes and profits, was worth £70 per annum, but, by reason of the late wars, not worth above £40 per annum. There is no Minister, the Vicarage being vacant. To be made a parish."
Dr. Whitaker gives a catalogue of the Vicars.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
See Blound's Ancient Tenures for an account of the curious customs at the Manor Court.
This parish was a member of the ancient Saxon parish of Dewsbury. No vestige remains of the old Church, or of the Chapel of St. Sitha, mentioned by Leland. The present Church was finished in the 36th Henry V.; the tower was erected 23rd Henry VII.
Seven Chapels exist within the parish, six of which are in the gift of the Vicar, and the seventh, Wibsey, is in the gift of the patron of the Church.
The town was besieged and taken by the royal army, commanded by the Duke of Newcastle. -Vide Sir Thomas Fairfax's Memoirs for a full account of the siege.
4th March 1785, faculty to erect an organ and gallery.
28th January 1786, ditto to build a gallery.
9th May 1797, ditto to erect a gallery.
An additional burial-ground was consecrated 6th October 1819.
An inclosure Act was passed 11th Geo. III. (Oxenhope), and also an Act 57th Geo. III. for a new burial ground.
The Register Books commence in 1599.
Free School. The Archbishop of York, as appears by a charter of King Charles II., dated 10th October, in the 14th year of his reign, is constituded special visitor. " This school," says Mr. Gilbert *4, " is supposed to have been founded in the reign of Edward the Sixth, and is well endowed. The management of the school is vested in thirteen governors, consisting of individuals of respectability resident in the town and neighbourhood, and is open to all boys of the parish, free of expense." This is one of the schools entitled to send a candidate for one of the exhibitions of Lady Eliz. Hastings.
Poor's Estate. Rent of forty acres, and £4. 18s. quit-rents, amounting together, at the time of the Report, to £50. 8s. per annum. The income is distributed to the poor of the parish (except the townships of Clayton and Heaton) not receiving regular parochial relief.
Richard Pollard's charity, by will, dated 20th August 1735. Rent-charges, amounting to £5 per annum, to the poor of the townships of Bradford, Haworth, Stanbury, and Bierley.
Mary Anne Jowett's charity, by will. dated 19th September 1811, left the interest of £400 to poor widows, or single women, above the age of fifty years.
William Field's charity, by deed, in 1686. Rents, amounting to £111 per annum, towards the maintenance of the poor.
Thomas Farrand's charity, by will, dated 27th June 1724. Annuity of £10, for teaching poor children of the town of Bradford to read and write. -Vide 17th Report, page 723.
A post town.
Vid. Torre's MS. page 725. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 171. Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 350. Wood's MS. (Bodleian), No. 5,101.
*1 Bradfurth, or Bradforth.
*2 Viz. :-Allerton, 1,733 ; North Bierley, 7,254 ; Bowling, 5,958 ; Bradford, 23,223 ; Clayton, 4,469 ; Eccleshill, 2,570; Haworth, 5,835; Heaton, 1,452; Horton, 10,782; Manningham, 3,564 ; Shipley, 1,926 ; Thornton, 5,968; and Wilsden, 2,252. The great increase of Population (24,042 persons, of whom 10,169 are in the township of Bradford, and 3,590 in the township of Horton,) is principally attributed to the extension of worsted manufacture. In the township of North Bierley, upwards of 800 men are employed in quarries, mines, and coal-pits, 174 in the township of Bowling, and the same number in Bradford. The Population, exclusive of the Chapelries, was returned, in 1834, at 23,223.
*3 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 4,700.
*4 Liber Scholasticus.