On the 18th February, 1863, a Special Church Meeting was held at Bethel Chapel, Shipley, to consider a report by the senior deacon, to the effect that there were many applications for sittings and that he had "none to let," and that many who were anxious to attend worship were unable to do so for lack of accommodation. It was resolved that "a new chapel be built; that the present chapel remain unaltered, and that, whenever in the future the Church be deemed strong enough to divide, the present place be opened for a new interest if the Church should think desirable, such new interest to be called the First Baptist Church." In accordance with that resolution the present commodious Rosse Street Chapel was built, and opened on the 6th June, 1866, but the migration of the whole Church did not take place. Some of the members were loth to leave the old chapel, and remained, but 187 were dismissed to form the new Church at Rosse Street.
During the first year eighty-six other members were added to the roll. The first pastor was the Rev. Richard Green, who had previously ministered at Bethel. In 1869, Rev. William Medley, a name ever dear to all who knew him, and Mrs. Medley, on taking up work at Rawdon College, joined the Church, and were associated with it nearly forty years. From 1873 to 1908, Mr. Medley was a deacon. In 1897, Rev. C. E. Shipley settled as pastor, and remained for fourteen years, removing to Sheffield in 1911. During Mr. Shipley's pastorate, many activities were added to the Church life, and it continues to-day a busy hive of Christian industry. The Rev. H. W. Burdett, B.A., of Bristol, has just entered on his ministry at Rosse Street, with the best of prospects.