BOSTON SPA, in the township of Clifford, and parish of Bramham, wapentake of Barkston-Ash; 3 miles from Wetherby, 4 from Tadcaster. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary, the Virgin, value, about £110. Patron, the Vicar of Bramham. Principal Inn, Red Lion.
Boston, long celebrated for its Mineral Waters, under the name of Thorp Arch, on the opposite side of the water, is situated in a romantic and beautiful vale, through which the river Wharfe runs with a rapid current. (See also Thorp Arch, in the Ainsty wapentake). The houses are extremely neat and good, built chiefly of stone, with small gardens in front, and forming a row on each side of the road leading from Wetherby to Tadcaster.
The Mineral Spring, which was first discovered in 1744, by John Shires, an inhabitant of Thorp Arch, is situated on the south banks of the river, and issues from the bottom of a lofty limestone rock, which in some measure overhangs the river; it is conveyed by means of a pump, erected in 1792, into a little room for the purpose, whither the visitors repair to partake of this wholesome beverage. This water, like all others, of fashionable resort, has obtained the notice of Des. Garnett, Munro, Walker, and Hunter. Hot and cold baths are erected immediately adjoining the pump room. The village of Boston was begun in an open field in 1753, and now contains more than 600 inhabitants. The Parochial Chapel was consecrated in Dec. 1814, by his Grace the Archbishop of York.