BRAMHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.


"BRAMHAM, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the W. of Tadcaster, its post town. It includes the chapelries of Clifford, and Boston Spa. Northward of the village is Bramham Moor, across which ran the Roman road, Watling Street. On this moor a battle was fought in 1408, in which the Earl of Northumberland was defeated and slain by Sir Thomas Rokeby, and the crown thereby secured to Henry IV. From the centre of the moor, which is considerably elevated, there is an extensive prospect over the surrounding country, three navigable rivers and 10 towns, with a great number of seats and parks, being within sight. The district contains abundance of limestone and coal. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, of the value of £300, in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Christ Church College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to All Saints. In addition to the parish church there are two district churches, one at Boston Spa and the other at Clifford. The livings of both are perpetual curacies* the former of the value of £180, and the latter of £65. The Wesleyans have a chapel in the village. There is a small free school, with an endowment of £18 per annum, the produce of several bequests. The other parochial charities are worth about £30 a year. The principal seats are Bramham Park and Bramham Biggin. The former was the seat of Lord Bingley, who erected the mansion, a large and handsome edifice, with fine gardens and well-planted grounds. The latter, once the seat of Sir Philip Musgrave, Bart., is now the property of Lord Headley."

"BOSTON, (or Thorpe Arch), a township joined with Clifford, in the parish of Bramham, wapentake of Barkstone Ash, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the S.E. of Wetherby. It is a station on the Harrogate branch of the North-Eastern railway. The village, which was founded in 1753, in consequence of the discovery of a mineral spring in the neighbourhood, is seated in a beautiful spot in the valley of the Wharfe, and has become an attractive watering-place. The spring rises at the foot of a rock, on the south bank of the river, which here runs rapidly, and has a picturesque fall. A pump-room and baths have been established. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, of the value of £146, in the patronage of the Vicar of Bramham. Besides the Episcopal church, built in 1814, there is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyans. There is a small free school."

"CLIFFORD CUM BOSTON, a township in the parish of Bramham, in the upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone Ash, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles S.E. of Wetherby, 12 N.E. of Leeds, and 2 S. of Thorp Arch railway station. Tadcaster is its post town. A large number of the inhabitants are employed in the twine and shoe thread factory of Messrs. Grimston. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £65, in the patronage of G. L. Fox, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Luke, is a modern edifice in the Gothic style of architecture. The Roman Catholics have a chapel, with school and convent attached. It possesses a beautiful Carrara marble statue of the Virgin Mary, by Hoffman. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and there is a Church school with a good set of apparatus for illustrating natural philosophy and chemistry. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. Clifford Moor, where a battle was fought between the English and Scots, is a meet for the Bramham Moor hounds. The lady of the manor is Mrs. Gascoigne."

"OGLETHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Bramham, wapentake of Upper Barkstone Ash, West Riding county York, 3 miles W. of Tadcaster. It is situated near the line of the Roman road Watling Street, which here crosses Bramham Moor, where Sir T. Rokeby, in the wars of the Roses, defeated the Earl of Northumberland. The country abounds in coal and limestone, which are worked."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013