Hide

BRODSWORTH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BRODSWORTH, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the N.W. of Doncaster. It includes the hamlets of Pigburn and Scausby. Brown limestone of good quality is quarried here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, of the value of £367, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The parochial charities, which consist of the endowment of a free school founded in 1696, and a more recent small bequest for education, produce £15 a year. Brodsworth Park became the seat of the Earl of Kinnoul in 1713, Whose grandson sold the estate to Peter Thellusson, the father of Lord Rendlesham. The extraordinary provisions contained in the Will of Thellusson for the accumulation of his immense property have become notorious by the frequent discussions and arguments in the courts of law and equity. They Were finally annulled by the Court of Chancery, and an Act Was passed in 39 and 40 George III. for prescribing the accumulation of property, known as the "Thellusson Act.""


"PICKBURN WITH BRODSWORTH, a township in the parish of Brodsworth, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Doncaster."


"PIGBURN, a hamlet in the parish of Brodsworth, N. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Doncaster. The races occur here in October."


"SCANSBY, a township in the parish of Brodsworth, N. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York."


"SCAUSBY, a hamlet in the parish of Brodsworth, N. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.W. of Doncaster."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013