"BROTHERTON, is a township, in the parish of its name, which is partly in the liberty of St. Peter of York, East Riding, and partly in the wapentake of Barkstone Ash, West Riding, about one mile from Ferry Bridge and three from Pontefract. The parish is bounded on the south and west by the river Aire, and contains limestone of a fine quality, for the burning of which there are many kilns. This place, though of little importance at the present period, was well known in the page of early history ; for it was at this village, in June 1300, that Margaret, the second wife of Edward 1st, having been taken in labour, whilst hunting in the neighbourhood, was delivered of a son, to whom the name of Thomas de Brotherton was given ; and from him descended, in the female line, the Mowbrays, dukes of Norfolk. The house in which this event occurred, is stated to have stood on a piece of land not far from the church, which the tenants are obliged, by the tenure of their land, to keep surrounded by a stone wall. The places of worship are, the parish church, dedicated to Edward the Confessor, and a chapel for Wesleyan methodists. The living of Brotherton is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the dean and chapter of York. The parish contained, at the last census, 1,623 inhabitants, and the township 1,482 of that number.
Please see Pontefract Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this township (included with Knottingley)."