The Ancient Parish of BROUGHTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BROUGHTON, a parish-town, east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; (Broughton Hall, the seat of Stephen Tempest, Esq.) 3 miles W. of Skipton, 9 from Colne, (Lanc.) 12 from Keighley, 15½ from Clitheroe, 44 from York. Pop. including Elslack, 427, which being united, form a township. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to All-Saints, in the deanry of Craven, value, ~£5. 16s. 0½d. Patron, the Dean and Chapter of Christ church, Oxford." (There is further information for Broughton).
"ELSLACK, in the township of Broughton with Elslack, and parish of Broughton, east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's Fee; 4 miles SW. of Skipton, 5 from Colne, (Lanc.) 13 from Keighley. Pop. included in Broughton.
"At Elslack," saith Dodsworth, "is a close whereon stood a castle, called Burwen Castle." The manor formerly belonged to the Malhams, at the dispersion of whose estates, it was purchased by the Benson family. It is now the property of James Fox, of Bramham Park, Esq. In the 12th of Edward II. Godfrey de Altaripa had license to kernel and embattle his house here, but of which there are now no appearances. The dungeon has disappeared and is forgotten. The manor and principal estate passed through the Altaripas and Radcliffes, to the Malhams. --Whitaker's Craven."
- Here is a photograph of All Saints' Church, Broughton.
- Transcript of the entry for Broughton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Broughton.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Broughton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD940514 (Lat/Lon: 53.958652, -2.092928), Broughton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.