Hide

BROUGHTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BROUGHTON, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 83 miles S.W. from Skipton, containing, with Elslack, 427 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £5. 16. 0., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains several mural monuments belonging to the family of Tempest, who have been long resident here. The manufacture of cotton goods is carried on to a limited extent. The Saxon name of the place, implying a fortified town, is evidence of its antiquity; and there are vestiges of an early settlement, ascribed to the Romans: various instruments, supposed to have belonged to that people, or to the Britons, have also been discovered. The village sufferedconsiderably in the civil war of the last century, when the inhabitants were plundered, and much of their property was destroyed."


"ELSLACK, a township, joint with Broughton, in the parish of BROUGHTON, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-AND-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W.S.W. from Skipton, containing 437 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]