BROUGHTON, a parish-town, east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; (Broughton Hall, the seat of Stephen Tempest, Esq.) 3 miles W. of Skipton, 9 from Colne, (Lanc.) 12 from Keighley, 15½ from Clitheroe, 44 from York. Pop. including Elslack, 427, which being united, form a township. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to All-Saints, in the deanry of Craven, value, ~£5. 16s. 0½d. Patron, the Dean and Chapter of Christ church, Oxford.
Broughton Hall, the ancient seat of the Tempests, was built in 1597, just behind their former house, called Gilliott's Place, from a Knightly family of that name, the heiress of which married a Roger Tempest. The Portraits in this house are not numerous; two only deserve to be remembered, one of Stephen Tempest, Esq. author of "Religio Laici;" the other of Francis Tempest, Abbot of Lambspring, a venerable old man, with a gold cross. The Church of Broughton stands in a solitary situation; in it are mural monuments of the Tempests. In the civil wars of the last century, Broughton, situated on the high way between the hostile garrison of Skipton and Thornton, had its full share of devastation and misery. It was a tradition told in the hall, that the village had been so completely pillaged of common utensils, that an old helmet travelled from house to house for the purpose of boiling broth and pottage, and that a son of the family was shot on the lawn. --Whitaker's Craven.
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]