Area, 3,950 acres. Staincliffe wapentake, E. D. -Population, 407 *1; Church-room, sufficient ; Net value, £190. -Given to the Abbey of Bolton by William, nephew of the King of Scots, and Cicily de Rumely, his wife, and appropriated thereto in 1442, and a Vicarage ordained; and at the Dissolution, the patronage was given to the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, who are still the patrons and impropriators.
The impropriators are charged with a payment of 3s. 4d. to the poor, in time of Lent.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's first taxation, at £20; and in his new taxation, at £10. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, at £5. 16s. per annum ; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 206, at £27 per annum ; and the certified value, in 1818, was £24. 12s.
Augmented in 1742, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Mr. Edward Guy.
" The corn tithes of the parish impropriated to the Earl of Burlington, and farmed by him of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, except some that belong to Mr. F , and the corn tithe of four closes in Elslack. All other tithes belonging to the Church. Endowed with all small tithes. Not taken notice of in the Valor Ecc. Yearly value of the Vicarage, £25 per annum. Church founded by Alice Duramella." Signed, " Ellis Nutter, Vic." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 87.
Dr. Whitaker gives the substance of the endowment, and a catalogue of the Vicars.
4th September 1786, faculty to take away a barn.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Registers are returned to Parliament as commencing in 1689, but imperfect till 1703, though Dr. Whitaker supposed they were lost from their commencement to 1746 ; but it appears that there is a chasm from 1703 to 1740. -Vide transcripts at York.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Skipton.
Torre's MS., page 477. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 201. Whitaker's Craven, page 87.
*1 Including Elslack. In 1834, the population is stated to be 427.