The Ancient Parish of BURGHWALLIS
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BURGHWALLIS, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; (the seat of Michael Tasburgh, Esq.) 6½ miles NNW. of Doncaster, 9 from Pontefract, 30 from York. Pop. 237. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Helen, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £14. 6s. 10½d. Patron, Michael Tasburgh, Esq."
"SUTTON, in the parishes of Campsall and Burghwallis, wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; 7 miles N. of Doncaster, 11 from Ferrybridge. Pop. 145."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Transcript of the entry for Burghwallis in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Burghwallis.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burghwallis to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE534117 (Lat/Lon: 53.599157, -1.19457), Burghwallis which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.