"CALVERLEY, a parish and township, in the wapentake of Morley and honour of Pontefract, is about three miles north of Bradford. This place is memorable as the scene of a tragedy, attributed to the pen of Shakespear, under the designation of the 'Yorkshire Tragedy.' The number of inhabitants (who derive their chief maintenance from the woollen trade) amounted, according to the census for 1821, to 2,605. Tong is a small agricultural village, in the parish of Birstall and wapentake of Morley, about 2 miles from Pudsey and 7 from Leeds. Here is a small neat church, of which the Rev. William Hamerton is vicar; the firing is in the patronage of J. P. Tempest, Esq. of Tong-hall, who is lord of the manor. The population, in 1821, was 1,893."
Note: The directory entry for Calverley in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Pudsey, (in this parish).
"FULNECK, in the township of Pudsey and parish of Calverley, is one of the principal settlements of the Moravians or united brethren, in England. It has been established about eighty years, previous to which, the site on which it now stands was nothing more than an uncultivated and unprofitable hill; but when the Moravians emigrated to England, they chose this spot, naming it after one of their principal settlements in Germany, Fulnek, and raised a grand pile of building, containing a chapel; schools, a house for single brothers, and another for single sisters, situated on a terrace of considerable length, commanding a fine prospect; these, with the houses for separate families (all Moravians) form a considerable village, which for simplicity an neatness is not surpassed by any other in the county. The principal trade of this little colony is fine needlework. The population is included with Pudsey."
Note: The directory entry for Fulneck in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Pudsey, (in this parish).
"PUDSEY, one of the most populous manufacturing villages in the west riding, in the parish of Calverley, wapentake of Morley, and honour of Pontefract, is about 192 miles from London, 6 from Leeds, and 4 from Bradford; it is finely situated on an eminence, but the irregularity of its buildings detracts greatly from its natural beauty. The inhabitants do not appear to pride themselves in the beauty of their village, or to rival each other in the exterior decorations of their several dwellings; but on the contrary, they try to excel each other in industry and frugality, and seem more anxious to acquire riches, than ostentatiously to display them. The manufacture of woollen cloths is carried on here to a greater extent than any other village in England. On the 30th of August, 1824, was opened a new church, dedicated to St. Lawrence; it is a large handsome Gothic structure, built under the act of parliament for erecting new churches : the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rev. Samuel Redhead, vicar of Calverley; the Rev. David Jenkins is the present incumbent. The other places of worship are, an independent chapel, in Chapel-town; one for the Wesleyan Methodists, in Low-town; and another belonging to the new connexion, in Far-town, all of which are well attended by their respective sects. In the Low-town is the Old-hall, or manor-house, formerly the residence of the Milner family, but now in the occupation of Mr. Stowe, who is agent for Charles Milner, Esq. the present lord of the manor. The population, in 1821, was 6,229, but is now (including Fulneck) estimated to exceed 7,000."
"STANNINGLEY, a manufacturing-village, in the townships of Bramley, Pudsey and Farsley, in the parishes of Calverley and Leeds, and wapentakes of Agbrigg find Morley, is three miles & a half north. east of Bradford, upon the turnpike road between that town and Leeds."
Note: The directory entry for Stanningley in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Pudsey, (in this parish).