Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: CALVERLEY. Church dedication: ST. WILFRED. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 8,390 acres. Morley wapentake. - Population, 16,184 *1; Church-room, 400 *2; Net value, £150. -This Church was given by William Scotus to the Chapel of St. Mary and the Holy Angels, and appropriated thereto, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 4th May, A.D. 1258.
The Sacrist was charged with the payment of six marks per annum to the poor of the parish. The Vicar is charged with the repairs of the Chancel.
31st October, 5th and 6th Philip and Mary, the patronage was given by the Crown to the Archbishop and his successors, but, nevertheless, King Edward VI. and Queen Elizabeth presented to the Vicarage : afterwards, two collations were made by the Archbishop, viz., 1618 and 1627 ; but since that, the Crown has presented.
In Pope Nicholas's first taxation, the Vicarage was valued at £8; but in the second taxation, its value is returned " nihil :" in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £9. 11s. 10d. per annum ; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 311, it is stated : " A Vicarage, £24. The Rectory is worth £80 per annum." Synodals, 4s.; Procurations, 7s. 6d.
Augmented, in 1759, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Sir Walter Blackett, Bart.
The Vicar is entitled to the tithes of potatoes, turnips, turnip-seed, lambswool, and other small tithes arising on the lands in the manor of Tyerfal, in the said parish *3.
Decrees in the Exchequer were made in Michaelmas Term, 31st Elizabeth, and in Trinity Term, 2nd William and Mary, but they are unreported.
" The tithes belonged to the Saviles, who sold them to the inhabitants, only reserving some small thing out of it to be paid yearly out of every town. Nothing belongs to the Church but small tithes. Yearly value of the Vicarage is something under £30 " Signed, " William Rawson, Vic." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 654.
Inclosure Acts were passed 27th and 28th Geo. II., and 59th Geo. III.
Dr. Whitaker gives a catalogue of the Rectors.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The parish is in the diocese of York, but wills of persons dying at Pudsey are occasionally proved in the Manorial Court.
The Register Books commence in 1574. There are some chasms.
Queen Elizabeth's dole. £4 per annum, payable out of the Rectories of Thorparch and Hutton Pagnell, to the poor of the parish of Calverley.
Eccleshill dole. 30s. per annum, granted 6th October 1686, by Walter Calverley, Esq.
Joseph Hillary's charity, by will, dated in 1658. Dividends of £619. 11s. 4d. three per cents. reduced. One-half to the master of the school in the churchyard, one-fourth to the Vicar, one-eighth to the parish Clerk, and one-eighth to the Vicar for buying books for the children in the Sunday schools (the testator having directed books to be bought for poor children). -Vide 17th Report, page 731.
Post town: Bradford.
Mon. Ang., vol. iii. page 139. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i., page 169. Torre's MS., page 625. Wood's Bodleian MS., No. 5,101. Loidis et Elmete, page 216.
*1 Viz.: Bolton, 671 ; Calverley, 2,637 ; Idle, 5,416; and Pudsey, 7,460. Upwards of two hundred men are employed in quarries and mines. In 1834, the Population, exclusive of the Chapelries, was returned at 3,308.
*3 Exclusive of Idle and Pudsey Chapels. In 1818, the return was 900.
*2 Bewick v. Nicholls, 3 Wood, page 243.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.