PUDSEY: Pudsey Baptist Church History up to 1912.
PUDSEY BAPTIST CHURCH
The Church at Pudsey had a humble beginning, for when it was formed in January, 1847, its only home was a room "with pigstyes underneath." Its membership numbered twelve, and its frugal condition is seen by the fact that, the rent of the room being in arrears, a levy of sixpence per head was made upon the members. In 1851, a chapel—now used as a Sunday School—was opened at Littlemoor, and Rev. James Hillyard was appointed pastor in 1853. In 1857, Rev. James Stuart accepted the joint pastorates of Pudsey and Stanningley. In 1866, Rev. H. Watts was pastor, who reported to the Association an increased congregation and additions to the Church. In 1870, Rev. H. Dunn undertook a brief ministry, after which the Church remained without a pastor for nearly twenty years, the pulpit being very acceptably supplied by students and lay preachers.
In 1893, Rev. F. W. Turner, a Rawdon student, was ordained to the pastorate which he held successfully for nearly twelve years. Stimulated by a gift of 500 from the late Mr. Briggs Priestley, M.P., a building scheme was inaugurated in 1895, and the chapel opened in November, 1897. In seven years it was freed from debt, the Church having raised nearly £5000 during the twelve years. Pudsey acknowledges its indebtedness to many friends for the successful consummation of its building efforts, which have placed it in possession of spacious and convenient Church premises. The present pastor is Rev. W. K. Still, who began his ministry at Pudsey in 1909.
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley