Hide

RODLEY: Rodley Bethel Baptist Church History up to 1912.

hide
Hide
Hide

RODLEY, BETHEL BAPTIST CHURCH

The Bethel Church, Rodley, was begun as a mission station of the Farsley Church, in a schoolroom Bethel, which was built in 1835. In this room the school was conducted, and public worship held, until the present chapel was built in 1892. The Church was formed in January of that year, with a roll of thirty-four members. For a number of years both before and after the opening of the new chapel, the cause was chiefly maintained by the students of Rawdon College, but in August, 1901, Mr. H. J. Charter, B.A., B.D., of that college, was ordained to the pastorate. In 1906, Mr. Charter resigned his charge in order to devote his life to the foreign missionary field, and for three years his place was not supplied. In 1909, Rev. Robert Tindal accepted the joint pastorates of Salem, Bramley, and Rodley, under the happy federation of the two Churches. At the present time Rodley is completing a scheme of alterations and additions to the old schoolroom.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley