[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"CANTLEY, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; (Cantley Lodge, the seat of John Childers, Esq.) 3½ miles ESE. of Doncaster, 6½ from Bawtry, 40½ from York. Pop. 577. The Church, about a mile from the village, is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Wilfred, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, ~£6. 6s. 5½d. Patron, John Childers, Esq. whose ancestor Childers Walbank Childers, Esq. built the present mansion, and to whose memory an elegant monument is erected in the church."
"BESSACARR, a hamlet in the township and parish of Cantley, 4 miles SE. Doncaster."
"BRANTON, in the township and parish of Cantley; 5 miles E. of Doncaster, 6½ from Bawtry."
"BROCKHOLE, a farm-house in the township and parish of Cantley; 4½ miles from Doncaster, 7 from Bawtry."
"GATE WOOD, or Gate Wood End, a farm-house in the township and parish of Cantley; 6 miles from Doncaster and Thorne."
"HIGH ELLERS, 2 farm-houses in the township and parish of Cantley; 3 miles SE. of Doncaster."
"KILHAM, a farm-house in the township and parish of Cantley; 6 miles E. of Doncaster."
"WILBY, a farm-house in the township and parish of Cantley; 2½ miles E. of Doncaster, 7 from Bawtry."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Transcript of the entry for Cantley in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Cantley.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cantley to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE628023 (Lat/Lon: 53.513638, -1.054436), Cantley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.