The Ancient Parish of CARLETON IN CRAVEN
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"CARLETON IN CRAVEN, (or Carlton) a parish-town, in the east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 2 miles SW. of Skipton, 10 from Keighley and Colne, 43 from York. Pop. 1218. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Craven, value, ~£5. 2s. 1d. p.r. £52. 15s. Patron, the Dean and Canons of Christ church, Oxford.
About the year 1700, Mr. Farrand Spence founded an Hospital here, for twelve widows belonging to the parish of Carlton, and six to Market Bosworth, in Leicestershire. Their receipts, about twenty guineas per annum. And about the year 1705, a School was founded by Mrs. Elizabeth Wilkinson, for clothing and educating four boys of this parish, and apprenticing them out at the age of fourteen. The charity is now extended to twenty boys, but only four clothed annually."
"DALE END, in the township and parish of Carleton in Craven, liberty of Staincliffe; 6 miles from Skipton, 9 from Keighley, the end of Lothersdale, and where the Quakers have a burial ground."
"LOTHERSDALE, in the parish of Carleton in Craven, east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 4 miles SW. of Skipton, 6 from Colne, (Lanc.) 8 from Keighley.
"It is," says Whitaker's Craven, "a dreary valley, running up into Pinhow, as far the confines of the parish of Whalley, (Lanc.) It is a distinct Manor, the property of Lord George Cavendish"."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]