CARLETON IN CRAVEN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"CARLETON IN CRAVEN, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.E. from Otley, containing 1218 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £5. 2. 1., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Here is an hospital or almshouse for twelve poor women, founded agreeably to the will of Ferrand Spence, who died in 1698. Six of the women are chosen from the town of Market Bosworth, in the county of Leicester. The hospital contains separate apartments for the women, also a chapel, out offices, garden, &c. The total income is about £ 280. A school was built by Elizabeth Wilkinson, who, in 1709, endowed it with land for clothing and educating four boys; the income is £ 120 per annum; twenty boys are educated, four of them being also clothed."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]