Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: CARLETON IN CRAVEN. Church dedication: ST. MARY. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 2,390 acres. Staincliffe wapentake, E.D. -Population, 1,265 *1; Church-room, 287 ; Net value, £400 -A Vicarage, appropriated to the Priory of Bolton, in 1120, by William de Meschines and Cicily his wife. -Torre's MS. page 413. It was then appendant to the Church of Skipton.
At the Dissolution, a Vicarage was ordained 14th Kal., Maii, A.D. 1292, and 2nd Kal., Julii, A.D. 1311. The Rectory was given to the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford, who are still the patrons of the Vicarage, and impropriators.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's first taxation, at £8; and in his second valuation, at £5.
The value of the Vicarage, in the King's books, is £5. 0s. 8d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 213, at £25; and the annual certified value in 1818, was £52. 15s.
Augmented in 1719, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Earl of Burlington and Lord Carlton.
" A modus of £3 a year is payable at Midsummer to the Vicar, in lieu of the tithes of milk, wool, lambs, and calves, arising on Carlton Hall Farm ; but the Vicar is entitled to the tithes of wool, lambs, and calves, of the rest of the parish in kind. -Markham v. Laycock." 4 Wood, pages 373-6.
" The Vicar is entitled to the tithes of hay, milk, eggs, poultry, garden-stuff, bees, honey, and all other tithes, except corn and grain in kind. -Markham v. Wilkinson." 4 Wood, page 398.
Dr. Whitaker gives the particulars of the endowment and a list of the Vicars. -See also Torre's MS., page 414.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1538.
School, founded by Elizabeth Wilkinson, by deed in 1709, confirmed by will, dated 16th February 1710, for clothing and educating four poor boys, and for teaching eight poor children to read. One guinea is paid to the Vicar for a sermon. There are now twenty boys brought up in the school. The income arises from the rent of 99 acres of land.
The Hospital, founded by the will of Ferrand Spence, dated 15th April 1698. -The Archbishops of Canterbury and York have the power of appointing new trustees and of making rules, and in April 1785, certain rules were made by the Archbishops. There are twelve widows in the Hospital, all above fifty years of age, six of whom are from Market Bosworth, in Leicestershire, and the other six are from the parish of Carlton. The income arises from the rent of 164a. 0r. 23p. of land and a rent-charge of £9.
Poor's Land. One acre. Rent distributed on St. Thomas's day and Good Friday.
Thomas Parkinson's donation of a bushel of wheat, left by will in 1690. -Vide 13th Report, page 623.
Post town: Skipton.
Torre's MS., page 414. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. pages 124. 350. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. pages 201. 207. Whitaker's Craven, page 171.
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 1,218.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.