Hide

Castleford Congregational Church History

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

CASTLEFORD:
Castleford Congregational Church History up to 1868.

Source=h:/!Genuki/RecordTranscriptions/WRY/CongChurches.txt

CASTLEFORD.
(INDEPENDENT.)

A room was opened for Congregational worship in this thriving village in the year 1861, and through the energy of Mr. McDowell, preachers were furnished from the Leeds Itinerant Preaching Society. A church was soon formed, and a Sunday-school. By means of a liberal grant from the West Riding Home Missionary Society, the congregation proceeded to elect a minister.
  • 1861. Rev. HENRY SIMON (Spring Hill Coll.). The need was now felt of a suitable place of worship, and by the aid of T. Salt, Esq., J. Crossley, Esq., and other friends, the undertaking was commenced. The foundation was laid July 8th, 1862, by T. Salt, Esq. The chapel was opened July 29th, 1863, by the Revs. James Parsons and Robert Balgarnie. The Rev. H. Simon, to whose ministerial energy the cause is greatly indebted, left for Tolmer Square, London, in 1866.
  • 1867. Rev. T. CHILD (Airedale Coll.), the present minister (in 1868).

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.