CAWOOD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"CAWOOD, a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the Ouse, near Selby, and 142 m. from London, which, in the civil wars, the Ld. Fairfax held out for the Pt. till he abandon'd this part of the country, on the approach of William Earl of Newcastle. Here is a castle, which bel. to the Abp. of Yorkshire,"
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]