[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"CHURCH FENTON, or Kirk Fenton, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberties of St. Peter and Pontefract; 5 miles from Tadcaster, 7 from Selby, 12 from Pontefract and York. Pop. 416. The Church (see Churches for photograph), peculiar, is a vicarage, in the deanry of the Ainsty, value ~£5. p.r. !£120. Patron, the Prebendary of Fenton."
"BIGGIN, in the parish of Church Fenton, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberties of St. Peter and Pontefract; 6 miles SE. of Tadcaster, 7 from Selby, 11 from Pontefract. Pop. 164."
"BRACKEN HILL, a hamlet in the township of Biggin, and parish of Church Fenton; 6 miles from Tadcaster."
"LITTLE FENTON, or South Fenton, in the parish of Church Fenton, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberties of St. Peter, and Pontefract; 6 miles from Tadcaster, 7 from Selby, 11 from Pontefract. Pop. 113."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Church Fenton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Church Fenton.
- Church Fenton has its own Community website.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Church Fenton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE514369 (Lat/Lon: 53.825835, -1.220614), Church Fenton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial Plaque of St. Mary's Church, Church Fenton.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.