CLAPHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"CLAPHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles W. of Settle, and 20 N.E. of Lancaster. The North Western railway has a station about 1 mile from the village. It includes the four townships of Austwick, Clapham, Newby, and Lawkland. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon, value with the curacy of Austwick annexed, £300, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. James, is a modern edifice with embattled tower. The register commences in 1595. There are four township schools for both sexes. The annual value of the charities is about £160. Here are several naturally formed caves, the largest of which is that of Ingleborough, containing many fine stalactites and stalagmites; it is 700 yards in length. Fairs are held on the 27th September and 2nd October. The lords of the manor are S. W. and 0. Farrer, Esqrs."
"AUSTWICK, a township in the parish of Clapham, western division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N. of Settle, its post town. It is situated in a moorland district, not far from Ingleborough Hill. The living is a perpetual curacy attached to the vicarage of Clapham. The principal residence is Austwick Hall, seated on the bank of the river Wenning. An annual fair for the sale of cattle is held here on the Thursday before Whitsuntide."
"CLAPDALE, a hamlet in the parish of Clapham, in the west division of the wapentake of Staincliff, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles N.W. of Settle."
"CLAPHAM CUM NEWBY, a township in the parish of Clapham, in the western division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York. It contains the hamlet of Clapdale, 6 miles N.W. of Settle."
"ELDROTH, a hamlet in the township of Lawkland, parish of Clapham, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Settle. The old chapel-of-ease has been converted into a school, which has a small endowment."
"FEIGOR, a hamlet in the township of Lawkland, and parish of Clapham, wapentake of Ewcross, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Settle. The river Ribble flows near this place."
"LAWKLAND, a township in the parish of Clapham, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, West Riding county York, 3½ miles N.W. of Settle. It is situated near the river Ribble, and contains the hamlets of Eldroth and Feizor. Lawkland Hall is the principal residence. Eldroth chapel, formerly a chapel-of-ease, is now used as a school-room. The charities consist of an endowment of £6 per annum for education. The Roman Catholics have a chapel."
"NEWBY, a hamlet in the parish of Clapham, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe, West Riding county York, 7 miles N. of Settle, and 4 W. of the Bontham railway station. It is situated on the Keighley and Kendal turnpike road, and is wholly agricultural. A large portion of the land is in pasture. The soil is clay upon a subsoil of limestone. There is an endowed school for boys and girls, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum. J. Williams and O. Farrer, Esqs., are joint lords of the manor and principal landowners."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013