[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"COLLINGHAM, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Skyrack; 1 mile S. of Wetherby, 6¼ from Tadcaster, 9 from Leeds, 12¾ from Otley, 15¼ from York. Pop. 286. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Oswald (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, ~£3. 11s. 5½d. Patrons, the Trustees of Lady Betty Hastings."
"COMPTON, a farm-house in the township and parish of Collingham; 2½ miles S. of Wetherby, 6 from Tadcaster."
"MICKLETHWAITE, an area in the parish of Collingham, wapentake of Barkston-Ash; quarter of a mile from Wetherby. Pop. 83"
"MICKLETHWAITE GRANGE, a single house in the township of Micklethwaite, and parish of Collingham; 1 mile from Wetherby. This house was later named Beilby House and the modern (2008) name is Wetherby House. It is on the banks of the river Wharfe.
This place is the property of Paul Beilby Thompson, Esq. The house is in an unfinished state, and is only occupied by a farmer, to take care of the deer and horses in the Park. It is sometimes called Micklethwaite Grange, and under which name, it appears, at page 357, incorrect with respect to its being extra parochial."
- Transcript of the entry for Collingham in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Collingham.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Collingham to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE385458 (Lat/Lon: 53.906935, -1.415464), Collingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE395448) Compton Grove
- (SE395463) Wattle Syke
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.