Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4


If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.


Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: COLLINGHAM.     Church dedication: ST. OSWALD.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 2,200 acres. Skyrack wapentake, L. D. -Population, 347 *1; Church room, 200; Net value, £414. -The town of Collingham was, by King Henry II., taken from the Abbey of Kirkstall, to which Roger de Mowbray had given it, and given to Adam de Brus, in exchange for the Castle of Daneby, which the said King had before deprived him of.

Afterwards, the manor was granted to the monks of Kirkstall in fee farm, by King John, for a certain rent.

This Church was given to the Chapel of St. Mary and the Holy Angels of York by Richard de Morville, and appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 4 Non Maii, A.D. 1258.

12 Kal. Maii, A.D. 1291, a decree was made for the Abbot and Convent.

The Vicar is charged with the repairs of the Chancel.

The Vicarage is now in the patronage of Mrs. Wheler. The impropriator is charged with the payment of two marks per annum to the poor of the parish.

In the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £3. 11s. 4d. per annum ; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 338, at £12 per annum. Synodals, 4s.; Procurations, 6s. 8d.

The Vicarage was augmented, in 1715, with £200, to meet benefaction from Lady Elizabeth Hastings of tithes of the value of £400.

A mortgage of £638. 12s. 9d., under Gilbert's Act, will cease in 1848.

Dr. Whitaker's catalogue of Rectors is only brought down to 1672, being a copy from Torre's MS.

There is a glebe house fit for residence.

30th June 1759, faculty granted for taking down and rebuilding a gallery.

11th March 1834, ditto to re-pew the Church.

The Register books commence in 1579. They are deficient for the years 1617, 1623-1672. as to burials, and from 1641 to 1645 as to marriages.

Dawson's charity. Vide General Charities.

Queen Elizabeth's dole. £1. 6s. 8d. per annum.

School, founded by Lady Betty Hastings. -Vide 15th Report, page 651.

Post town: Wetherby.

Torre's MS., page 360. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 300. Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 163. Mon. Ang., vol. v. pages 529. 552.

*1 In 1834, the Population was returned to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to be 414. of Kirkstall relative to their tithes here, and a composition was also made with the said house in 1373 as to the tithes of Micklethwaite.

From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.