Hide

Conisbrough Baptist Church History

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

CONISBROUGH:
Conisbrough Baptist Church History up to 1912.

Source=h:/!Genuki/RecordTranscriptions/WRY/BaptistChurches.txt

CONISBROUGH BAPTIST CHURCH

The Conisbro' cause originated in an offer of £100 to the "Sheffield District", by the late F. F. Smith, of Sheffield, towards the under-taking of work in the town. A first effort was made in the Board School, services being conducted by Sheffield ministers and laymen. From thence a removal was made to the Co-operative Hall, and a colporteur engaged. The present iron buildings were erected in 1903, largely through the generosity of Mr. R. H. Sharp. Its first minister was Rev. R. Martin (1898-1900), who was followed by Rev. W. S. Maxey (1901-06). Since then the services have been chiefly sustained by lay preachers, and for the last two years pastoral oversight has been given by the minister of the Doncaster Church.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley