The Ancient Parish of COPGROVE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"COPGROVE, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Claro; (the seat of Thomas Duncombe, Esq.) 4 miles N. of Knaresborough and 4 from Boroughbridge, 6 from Ripon. Pop. 87. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Michael (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Boroughbridge, diocese of Chester, value, ~£5. 9s. 7d. p.r. !£80. Patron, Thomas Duncombe, Esq.
Before the conquest, Gospatric, a northern nobleman, was Lord of this village, where he had six caracutes of land; three of which, were arable. In the 20th of William I. Erneis de Borun, a Norman, had this manor; whose servant, Trusten, held here one caracute, with one plough, and seven villeins. Here was then a church; and the manor a mile long, and half a mile broad, was, in the time of King Edward, valued at 20s.; but at the above mentioned time, only at 16s. --Vide Domesday Book."
- Transcript of the entry for Copgrove in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Copgrove.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Copgrove to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE346633 (Lat/Lon: 54.064487, -1.472843), Copgrove which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.