Hide

COPGROVE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"COPGROVE, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W.S.W. from Boroughbridge, containing 87 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £ 5.9.7., and in the patronage of T. Duncombe, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. St. Mongah's well, in this village, was formerly celebrated for its medicinal properties. There is a trifling bequest, by means of which three poor children are educated."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]