CROFTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"CROFTON, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2½ miles S. W. of Wakefield, its post town, and 1½ mile from Oakenshaw railway station. It contains the hamlet of Birkwood. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £334, in the patronage of the Duchy of Lancaster. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stone edifice in the later English style of architecture, and contains several monuments. The charities amount to £19 per annum. There is a Sunday and two day schools. Mrs. H. Wilson is lady of the manor."
"BIRKWOOD, a hamlet in the parish of Crofton, and wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles from Wakefield."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013