Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: DARFIELD. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 11,720 acres. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, N. D. -Population, 5,703 *1; Church-room, 600 *2; Net value, £93. -This was a Rectory of medieties *3. The one belonged to the Flemyngs, and from them to the Woodhalls, and thence came to the Draxes. This was never appropriated. The other moiety belonged to the Lords Grey of Rotherfeld till it was given to the Priory of St. John of Jerusalem, to which it was appropriated in 1363, and a Vicarage ordained therein.
The Rev. Henry Cooke is patron of the Rectory, and Trinity College, Cambridge, of the Vicarage. The College has also the impropriation.
Valued, in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £70; viz., Robert's part, £36. 13s. 4d., and John's part, £33. 6s. 8d. In the King's books, the Rectory is valued at £53. 1s. 7d. Synodals and Procurations, 5s. 9d.; Pension to the Priory of Pontefract, 5s.; and the Vicarage at £14. 11s. 9d. Synodals, 2s.; Procurations, 3s. 9d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 449, it is stated : " In medieties. The Rectory of the one mediety at £120 per annum ; in the other, there is a Vicarage at £14 per annum."
Augmented, in 1720, with £200, to meet benefaction of £140, and lands worth £60, from the Hon. Thomas Wentworth ; in 1770, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from John Hinchcliffe, D.D.; in 1774, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Bishop of Peterborough ; and in 1833 with £200 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from Trinity College, Cambridge.
" One-half of the tithes go to Trinity College, Cambridge, and the other half to the Rector. There is also a Vicar, who hath a stipend of 22 marks." Signed, " Samuel Crooke, Vicar." Notitia Parochialis, No. 978.
There was a decree in the Exchequer, in Trinity Term, 2d Jac. II. as to tithes, but which is unreported.
Inclosure Acts were passed 33rd Geo. III. (Ardsley), and 45th Geo. III.
For the monuments and list of the Rectors and Vicars of both medieties, both before and since the Reformation, see Hunter's South Yorkshire.
A Chantry was founded in this Church.
The glebe house is fit for residence, which was built under a faculty, dated 27th March 1738.
13th July 1739, faculty to build a gallery.
10th December 1784, ditto to erect gallery.
22nd July 1786, ditto to erect a gallery.
The Register Books commence in 1628.
Almshouses, occupied by four poor widows, who receive an annuity of £8, paid by Mr. Saville, of Edwardthorpe, by some of whose ancestors the charity was established.
Robert Wainwright's dole. Rent-charge of 17s. 7d. per annum to the poor.
John Rayney's gift to the poor. £1. 13s. per annum.
FOR EDUCATION. -The sum of £5 a year is paid by the trustees of Goodwin's charity, in the parish of Rawmarsh, to the master of a township school in Darfield, for teaching ten poor children gratuitously in reading.
Rev. Mr. Lonsdale's donation. Interest of £49. 10s. for the support of a Sunday school.
ARDSLEY TOWNSHIP. -John Micklethwaite's gift, in 1742. £50 for establishing a school, applied in erecting a school-house; and on that account the master teaches two poor children, nominated by the representatives of the donor.
Jonathan Roodes's gift, by will, dated 26th June 1653. Rents-charge of 10s. per annum to the poor.
GREAT HOUGHTON TOWNSHIP. School, founded by a member of the family of Rhodes. Endowed with a school-house and rent-charge of £3. 5s. Ten free scholars taught to read. -Vide 17th Report, page 787.
Post town: Barnsley.
Torre's MS., page 1,207. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. pages 237 and 307. Nonae Roll, page 224. Bodleian MSS., Nos. 5,078 and 5,101. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 103.
*1 Viz. Ardsley, 1,029; Billingley, 217; Darfield, 520; Great Houghton, 292 ; Little Houghton, 132; Wombwell, 836; and Worsbrough, 2,677. In 1834, the Population was returned-Darfield, 2,226 ; and Wombwell, 800. Total, 3,026. >The parish of Darfield is partly in Staincross wapentake. The great increase of Population in the township of Worsbrough (1,285 persons) is attributed to the inclosure of 400 acres of waste land and the building of cottages on the small allotments.
*2 In the return made in 1818, the estimate is 2,000, of which 130 free sittings have been obtained under a grant of £30 from the Society for Enlarging Churches.
*3 Which is now a Discharged Vicarage.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.