DARFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"DARFIELD, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill."
"WORSBROUGH, is a village and chapelry, in the parish of Darfield, and same wapentake as Barnsley, three miles south from that town, and eleven from Sheffield, situated close to a branch of the Dearne and Dove canal, and near to a deep valley called Worsbrough dale, where are iron and glass works, with a manufactory for paper ; several collieries are also in the vicinity. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small, neat and ancient edifice, with a low tower, surmounted by a spire : the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Rev. Henry Bowen Cooke, vicar of Darefield ; the present curate is the Rev. Benjamin Hopkins. There is a free school, with a small endowment, and a Sunday school. The chapelry contained, at the last census, 2,677 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]