Hide

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Darfield:

hide
Hide
Hide


"ARDSLEY, in the parish of Darfield, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; (Park House, the seat of B. Taylor, Esq. and Ardsley Hall, the seat of John Micklethwaite, Esq.) 2½ miles E. of Barnsley, 9 from Rotherham, 9½ from Wakefield, 13 from Doncaster. Pop. 992,"


"BALK, a farm-house in the township of Worsbrough, and parish of Darfield; 3 miles S. of Barnsley, 9 from Rotherham."


"BANK TOP, a single house in the township of Worsbrough and parish of Darfield, wapentake of Staincross; 1¼ mile SE. of Barnsley."


"BILLINGLEY, in the parish of Darfield, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; 6 miles E. of Barnsley, 9 from Doncaster. Pop. 214"


"BILLINGLEY GREEN, 2 houses in the township of Billingley, and parish of Darfield; 6¼ miles from Barnsley."


"BURNTWOOD LODGE, (the seat of William Marsden, Esq.) in the township of Great Houghton, and parish of Darfield, 8 miles from Barnsley, 9 from Pontefract, 10 from Doncaster."


"EDDERTHORPE, 4 farm-houses in the township and parish of Darfield, Lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4½ miles E. of Barnsley."


"GREAT HOUGHTON, in the parish of Darfield, lower division of Strafforth and Tickhill; (Houghton Hall, the seat of Rhodes Milnes, Esq.) 7½ miles from Doncaster, 8 from Barnsley. Pop. 287. Here is a private Presbyterian Chapel, belonging to the Milnes's family."


"HEMMINGFIELD, a farm-house in the township of Wombwell, and parish of Darfield, liberty of Tickhill; 5 miles SE. of Barnsley."


"HILL TOP, in the parish of Darfield, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill; 5 miles SE. of Barnsley. Pop. 97."


"KENDALL GREEN, scattered houses in the township of Worsbrough, and parish of Darfield, 2 miles from Barnsley."


"LEWDEN, a farm-house in the township of Worsbrough, and parish of Darfield, 2½ miles S. of Barnsley."


"LITTLE HOUGHTON, in the parish of Darfield, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 7 miles from Barnsley, 8 from Doncaster. Pop. 112."


"MIDDLEWOOD HALL, (the seat of the Hon. H. Saville,) in the township and parish of Darfield, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 5½ miles from Barnsley, 10 from Doncaster."


"NETHER WOOD HALL, (the seat of John Garland, Esq.) in the township and parish of Darfield, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4 miles from Barnsley."


"NEW HALL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Darfield, 3 miles from Barnsley. (This is now Cranford Hall - 2008)."


"OLDHAM MILL, a Mill, in the township of Wombwell, and parish of Darfield, 3 miles SE. of Barnsley, 7½ from Rotherham."


"OUSLETHWAITE, (the seat of William Elmhirst, Esq.) in the township of Worsbrough, and parish of Darfield, 1½ miles S. of Barnsley."


"OVERWOOD HALL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Darfield, 4 miles from Barnsley."


"ROCKLEY ABBEY, a farm-house in the township of Worsbrough, and parish of Darfield, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles S. of Barnsley. Anciently a seat of the Rockleys; now belongs to the Wentworths."


"ROUND GREEN, a farm-house in the township of Worsbrough, and parish of Darfield, 2½ miles S. of Barnsley."


"SMITHLEY, a hamlet in the township of Wombwell, and parish of Darfield, 3 miles SE. of Barnsley, 9 from Rotherham."


"STAIRFOOT, a hamlet in the township of Ardsley, and parish of Darfield, 2 miles ESE. of Barnsley, 8 from Penistone."


"SWAITHE HALL, a farm-house in the township of Worsbrough, and parish of Darfield, 2 miles from Barnsley."


"TYERSALL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Darfield, 3 miles from Barnsley."


"VIEWS, a farm-house in the township of Worsbrough, and parish of Darfield, 1½ miles SE. of Barnsley."


"WASS LANE HEAD, a farm-house in the township of Wombwell, and parish of Darfield, 2 miles from Barnsley."


"WOMBWELL, in the parish of Darfield, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; 4 miles SE. of Barnsley, 7¾ from Rotherham, 10 from Sheffield. Pop. 811. Here is a Chapel of Ease to Darfield."


"WOMBWELL WOOD HEAD, 2 farm-houses in the township of Wombwell, and parish of Darfield, liberty of Tickhill; 4 miles SSE. of Barnsley, 8 from Rotherham."


"WORSBROUGH, in the parish of Darfield, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; (Worsbrough Hall, the seat of Francis Edmunds, Esq. and Darlay Hall, the seat of William Newman, Esq.); 3 miles S. of Barnsley, 7 from Penistone, 11 from Sheffield. Pop. 1,392. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, p.r. *£63. 0s. 6d. Patron, the Rector of Darfield.

This village was anciently styled Washingburgh; which in the reign of King Edward IV., was the estate of George, Duke of Clarence, that King's brother; who, according to History, was attained, condemned, and suffocated in a butt of malmsey wine. Here is a beautiful parochial Chapel, and a Free School. --Magna Brit.

Here is a School for six poor Girls, founded in 1714, by William Skiers.

Obadiah Walker, a divine of considerable abilities and learning, was born here, in 1616. Among his published Works, the best is " The Greek and Roman History, illustrated" by Coins and Medals, 1692, 8vo."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]