Area, 4,590 acres. Osgoldcross wapentake, U.D. - Population, 619 *1; Church-room, 200 *2; Net value, £512. -This Church, together with the Chapel of Stapelton, was given to the Priory of Pontefract by Robert de Lacy, and appropriated thereto ; afterwards given to the Dean of the free Chapel in the Castle of Pontefract, came again to the Priory, and was by King Henry VIII. exchanged with the Archbishop for lands settled on the Crown.
Both Dr. Ducarel and Torre are silent as to any ordination. The first Vicar named in Torre's catalogue was instituted in 1281.
Patron and impropriator, the Archbishop of York.
In Pope Nicholas's Survey, the Church is valued at £13. 6s. 8d., and the Vicarage at the same sum. In the King's Books, the Vicarage is valued at £11. 11s. 2d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 44, (Rectory), and vol. xviii. page 392, at £31; and in 1818 at £150 per annum. Synodals, 5s. Procurations, 7s. 6d. Prebendary of Pontefract, £1. 4s.; and Prior of Pontefract, £1. 3s. 1d.
A Chantry is named in the Valor Ecc.
Inclosure Acts were passed 37th Geo. III. (Cridling Stubbs), and 52nd Geo. III.
" The Vicarage is endowed with the tithe corn of a village called Stapleton, but not the hay, excepting a place or meadow therein called Stapleton Moor, which pays all manner of tithes to the Vicar, who likewise hath all the tithes of two farms, and a great liberty thereunto belonging, called Cridling Park. the Outlands, and Grere Farm." Signed " Samuel Briercliffe, Vic." -Notitia Pa-rochialis, No. 749.
" By decree in the Exchequer, the Vicar is only entitled to the thirtieth shock of corn grown on the demesne lands of the manor of Stapylton, to 1s. 6d. a year, in lieu of the tithe of hay, and to 4d. a year, in lieu of the tithes of corn and grain of Holgate Farm." -Waugh v. Green, 1 Wood, page 186.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
A mortgage of £1,001. 4s. 6d. will cease in 1852.
27th January 1769, faculty granted to enlarge a gallery.
The Register books commence in 1568. Baptisms wanting from 1758 to 1761. -Vide Transcripts at York.
Poor's land, left by Solomon Dupier in 1732. Four acres situate at Carleton, near Snaith. The rent is distributed amongst the poor of the parish. -Vide 16th Report, page 419.
Post town: Pontefract.
Nonae Roll, page 225. Mon. Angl. vol. v. page 118. Archbishop Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 156. Torre's MS., page 689.
*1 Viz. Darrington, 512; Stapleton, 107. In 1834, its Population was returned at only 506.
*2 Estimated in 1818, at 444.