DARTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"DARTON, is a township and village, in the parish of its name, in the wapentake of Staincross, three miles n.w. from Barnsley. The church is dedicated to All Saints: the living is a discharged vicarage, in the gift of the Beaumont family, and incumbency of the Rev. Robert Wilkinson; the Rev. Jesse Bellamy is the present curate. Thomas Wentworth Beaumont, Esq. is lord of the manor. In 1668 George Beaumont bequeathed 500. the interest thereof to be distributed, two thirds to the poor of the parish of Darton, and one third to the township of Over Flockton. He likewise bequeathed 500. towards paying a schoolmaster for teaching children of this parish: the Rev. Thomas Thexton is the present master. The parish contained in 1831, 2,960 inhabitants, and the township 1,466 of that number.
Please see Royston Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish."
"KEXBOROUGH, is a township, in the parish of Darton, about half a mile from that village, and 3 n.w. from Barnsley; containing, by the census returns for 1831, 548 inhabitants.
Please see Royston Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this township."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]